If you see Error -6123,0 while opening or upgrading your company file
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub
The QuickBooks Tools Hub helps fix common errors.
- Select the button to download the QuickBooks Tools Hub file. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it, like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop.
- Agree to the terms of service.
- Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolsHub.exe.)
- Follow the on-screen steps to install.
When the install finishes, close any open QuickBooks programs and double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tools hub.
Important: QuickBooks needs to be closed to use the tools hub.
Step 2: Run QuickFix my Program
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, select Program Problems.
- Select Quick Fix my Program. It will take about a minute to run. If you have multiple versions of QuickBooks installed, it can take longer. Wait until the progress bar is done.
- When Quick Fix my Program is finished, open QuickBooks and verify your issue is fixed.
If you still see Error -6123, 0, move on to Step 3.
Step 3: Run File Doctor
If Quick Fix my Program didn't work, we can use File Doctor to repair your company file. File Doctor automatically scans and fixes common QuickBooks Desktop data issues.
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, select Company File Issues.
- Select Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- When QuickBooks File Doctor opens, choose your company file from drop-down.
- If you don't see it, select Browse to search your computer for the file. The file will look like this: [your company name].qbw.
- Select Check your file, then Continue.
- Enter your QuickBooks admin password, then select Continue. File Doctor will start repairing your file. This may take a while.
- When the repair is finished, select your company from the list, then select Open QuickBooks.
If you can open your file without issue, everything is fixed. Be sure to make a back-up of your company file once you're able to open it.
If you repaired your file with File Doctor but still see Error -6123,0, don’t worry. Your data should be safe. At this point, please get in touch with our data services team for additional fixes.
If you see Error -6123,0 while restoring your company file
If you’re restoring your company file from a backup (.qbb) or a portable copy (.qbm), save these files to your local hard drive before opening them. Don’t open them from an online storage folder or a removable drive.
If you see Error -6123, 0 while restoring a backup (.qbb) of your company file on a new computer, try creating and restoring a portable copy (.qbm):
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the same computer you used to create the backup company file.
- Open your original company file as usual (not the backup).
- Create a portable copy (.qbm) of your company file.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the new computer.
- Restore your company file using the portable copy (.qbm) instead of the backup.