If you currently monitor a shared (non-human) mailbox, such as a departmental mailbox or a mailbox for conferences or specialized activities, you can use Outlook’s “Other User’s Folder” option to open a shared mailbox and send “on behalf of” the shared mailbox.
If you choose to send emails to an email distribution list via this method, your name will appear in the From field as sending “on behalf of” the shared mailbox. Before utilizing a shared mailbox, you must first notify Support (email@example.com) that you require access to the mailbox. Support will open a ticket to grant you permissions for the desired mailbox.
Once you are notified the ticket has been completed, you can utilize Outlook’s “Other User’s Folder” option to open the shared mailbox in your personal mailbox window:
1. Open Microsoft Outlook.
2. Left click File at the top of the Outlook window. A menu similar to the following appears:
3. Left click Open & Export. A window similar to the following appears:
4. Left click Other User’s Folder. A dialog box similar to the following appears:
5. In the Name field, enter the full email address of the shared mailbox or left click the Name button and search for the shared mailbox name.
6. Once the mailbox name is added, select the desired area of the mailbox you wish to open from the Folder type list. (For example, if you wish to send an email from the shared mailbox, you would select “Inbox” from the Folder type list.)
7. Left click OK.
8. The Inbox for the shared mailbox opens in Outlook. (To confirm this, the name of the shared mailbox should appear at the very top of the Outlook window title bar.)
9. Left click New Email to create your email message.
10. In order to send on behalf of the shared mailbox, you must specify the shared mailbox email address in the From field. To add the From field to your email message, left click Options. Under Options, in the Show Fields area, left click From.
11. The From field will appear at the top of your email message.
12. Left click the drop-down arrow on the From field. The first time you send on behalf of the shared mailbox you must select the shared mailbox via the “Other Email Address” option. After that, the shared mailbox should appear as an option in the list.
13. Left click Other E-mail Address from the drop-down list. The following dialog box appears.
14. Enter the shared mailbox email address in the From field or use the From button to search for the shared mailbox name.
15. Once the shared mailbox email address is displayed in the From field, left click OK. The email message should now display the shared mailbox email address in the From field.
16. Note - if you are sending to an email distribution list, you must now enter the full email address of the email distribution list.
17. Complete the email message. (Enter subject and body of message)
18. When the email message is ready, left click Send.