Use the admin center (preview) to assign licenses to one user
The preview is available to all Microsoft 365 admins, you can opt in by selecting Try the preview toggle located at the top of the Home page.
In the admin center, go to the Users > Active users page.
- On the Active Users page, choose the name of the user to whom you want to assign a license.
- At the top, choose Manage product licenses.
- In the user pane on the right, choose Licenses and Apps.
- Expand the Licenses section, choose the boxes for the licenses that you want to assign, then choose Save changes.
Use the old admin center to assign licenses to one user
- In the admin center, go to the Users > Active users page.
- Select the box next to the name of the user to whom you want to assign a license.
- On the right, in the Product licenses row, choose Edit.
- In the Product licenses pane, switch the toggle to the On position for the license that you want to assign to this user.
By default, all services associated with that license are automatically assigned to the user. To limit which services are available to the user, switch the toggles to the Off position for the services that you don't want that user to have.
- At the bottom of the Product licenses pane, choose Save > Close > Close.